Idol Dish

All the Dish that's fit to print about American Idol!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Round 1: The Guys

Phone 1-866-436-57_ _ or Text the word "Vote" to 57_ _

01 Rudy Cardenas: "Free Ride"
  • Randy: Got the party started, but really corny and could be in any bar in America
  • Paula: Fantastic--We've never had someone start off this energetic
  • Simon: Not unique, not a distinctive voice, nothing to remember, dated song

02 Brandon Rogers: "Rock With You"

  • Randy: Wasn't his best----pitchy
  • Paula: Great job. But not singing backup anymore and needs to step up
  • Simon: Very safe and predictable song to do hard to make an impact with that kind of song and is better than that

03 Sundance Head: "I Love You"

  • Randy: One of the auditions favorites because of the bluesy thing, but abandoned the blues and it was off pitch the whole song
  • Paula: Did not pick the right song
  • Simon: Like dad at a wedding--very old fashioned and uninspired

04 Paul Kim: "I'm Never Gonna Dance Again"

  • Randy: Didn't love this song---pitchy--a lot of promise
  • Paula: Over sang the song--never found the center---worth pushing through
  • Simon: Suggested shoes for next show--very ordinary attempt at George Michael

05 Chris Richardson: "I Don't Wanna Be"

  • Randy: Felt like the show just started--wasn't the best, but made it work
  • Paula: Great arrangement--original and fun
  • Simon: Really likes Chris--voice very small in that song--bad vocal--below standard

06 Nick Pedro: "Now and Forever"

  • Randy: It wasn't good---really boring and pitchy--Felt Nick was lost
  • Paula: The audition melted us and this fell flat
  • Simon: Didn't think it was that bad--lost the spark--but charming and just very nervous

07 Blake Lewis: "Somewhere Only We Know"

  • Randy: Shocked you sang that song, but kind of dug it--good job, pitch problems, but good
  • Paula: Picked an odd song and vocals were spot on--not much pitch problems
  • Simon: Not the best vocal in the world--but the different from the rest for using a more modern song and the best performance (so far) of the evening--good beat boxer but best that he chose to show another side

08 Sanjaya Malakar: "Knocks Me Off My Feet"

  • Randy: Didn't think it was very good at all--not a good song choice
  • Paula: Sweet soul that comes across when singing--wish more showmanship came through in performance
  • Simon: The most used line--"I Don't Want To Bore You" --most dreadful of the night

09 Chris Sligh: "Typical"

  • Randy: Voice on point---"I am a Chris fan"
  • Paula: Everyone had a great time!
  • Simon: Likes him very much, not an incredible vocal performance

10 Jared Cotter: "Back at One"

  • Randy: Coming into his own---
  • Paula: Reminded of a younger Brian McKnight
  • Simon: A bit nasal--looks good--needs to take a few more risks

11 A.J. Tabaldo: "All My Love"

  • Randy: Nothing new, but worked it out
  • Paula: Can definately sing--Great job--Go for it more
  • Simon: Good--nothing great--nothing terrible--theme park performance--predictable--choose a more challenging song--better than original impression

12 Phil Stacey: "I Could Not Ask For More"

  • Randy: Started rough---best vocal prize of the night!!
  • Paula: Shaky beginning--opened up and turned out great
  • Simon: Ok--just ok

First show was a bust for me!! I was really thinking the American Idol was going to be a guy until tonight! The only authentically good performances for me were Chris Sligh and Phil Stacey. I didn't even like Phil Stacey until tonight and for me ....he really shined! There is potential for several, but I don't know if they will be able to hold on to realize that potential!

Blake Lewis should do well as should Chris Richardson (he reminds me of Justin Timberlake....anyone else??). I've already forgotten about several performances....thankfully! Some I wish I could forget..... My biggest disappointments of the night were Brandon Rogers and Sundance Head. Both are potentially the best, but after tonight...I wouldn't be sorry to see Sundance go at all!

After Elliott Yamin's performance of "Knocks Me Off My Feet" last year, Sanyaya just fell short. Paul Kim....potential, but not sure about him yet. Nick Pedro....even more boring than Richard Marx. I can see why A. J. Tabaldo has not made it very far before now.....still kind of wish he wasn't there. Rudy Cardenas is so much better than his song tonight....maybe he'll be able to show us next week!

Well...off to vote--see you tomorrow night for the girls--Sure hope it's better than tonight!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight for me was ho hum. I liked Jared Cotter and Phil Stacey. These are the two we will see in the final...

7:12 PM  
Blogger CarolynBBDish said...

For me, great expectations.. and a big fizzle. blah. To the point where i'm not even gonna post a full blog tonight. I've been voting for Chris Sligh and Brandon Rogers... I'm hoping they'll get to stick around for more. There are others too, but Brandon was up so early, I'm concerned he wont be remembered... Unlike Blake, who has a tremendous and devoted fan base... I haven't seen any pages sprouting up for Brandon. hm.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I have to say again that Sundance sucks!!!! He should have never been in the top 24, they made a huge mistake putting him through. With that said, tonights show was pretty good for me. I loved Phil Stacey. He was by far the best of the night, of course, I wasnt able to get through to vote for him at all, so I went for my next pick, which was Jared Cotter, only able to get through for him once, so I moved on to Blake Lewis, who is just as good, maybe better, than Jared Cotter. I voted for him alot and I thought he was great. I was a bit shocked by the type of song that he sang, but I thought he did an excellent job and I was very impressed and I know we will be seeing much more of him. Now, onto the bad ones, Sanjaya was so borrrrrring!!! He made that song so plain and so unemotional, I will be absolutely shocked if him and sundance dont leave thursday. AJ was better today than I have seen in the past, I thought he did pretty good, I think he may have changed my mind about him, it was a nice surprise. Rudy was so off its not funny, he was bland and just unoriginal, he should have never sang that song on his first live show. Chris Sligh was ok, he was just faster than the music, but he sounded great!!! Chris Richardson wasnt all that great tonight i didnt think, his voice just didnt sound good to me. Vote for Pedro? yeah right, I vote for him to go HOME!!!!!!!!! Paul Kim, I dont know, I couldnt get past the feet, its just too much, put some shoes on!!!!! Brandon was pretty good, he wont leave thursday, but i dont see him making it far, he has a really nice voice, i just dont think it sticks out. So, thats what i see as far as the guys, cant wait to see the girls tomorrow!!!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep.. it was boring...
Like a wasted night..
I like Chris the best...
(Jack - Ozzy look alike)
so far... Second best for
me was the last guy...
Hope the girls do better..
or it's going to be a long
season!!!!
(-: Debi

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was SOOOO disappointed! I've been an Idol fanatic since the very first episode, the very first season......and I'm no young teenage type person! Anyway, that being said.....where IS the talent this year??? I have to assume, after last nites jokes of performances, that the talent HAS to be in the female competitor....sad to say that Sanjaya was a huge disappointment, I really liked the kid, but, last nite....not so much! If I HAD to pick a male fave based on last nite, I would have to go with Chris Sligh...I just struggle with how much he looks like Jack Osborne, if I close my eyes and listen, it is a better deal! I really suspect that Sundance and Sanjaya will be off......although I could pick about 8 that SHOULD be off......something likeable about Paul Kim, but, Ryan, keep your shoes on!! LOL! See ya all tonite in Idol World!

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home