Idol Dish

All the Dish that's fit to print about American Idol!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Are we there yet?

OK... it could just be that I had a really rough day, but Seriously, Are we there yet? Is it just me, or did NY last 10 hours? Did anyone really stand out for me tonight?

First they introduced the legendary Carol Bayer Sager, and I had such high hopes she'd bring an air of class to the NY auditions. Just as soon, it was as if someone said, "Let the freakshow begin," and out came Ian Bernardo - though I seriously doubt he was ever anything but out.
I'd had enough of his mouth long before he began to ...Sing? Did he think for a moment that was singing? Blech. Next.

Next up was Sarah from Ohio, whose parents didn't know about her little trip to NY, and whose voice and tears got her a golden ticket. Lucky for her, she was the first one to cry in the room that day. To be fair, I did enjoy her voice... very much.

Then straight into the drama, drama, drama sequence starring Ashanti Johnson and several more. "Simon, You just don't understand!" Cry him a river. It's not gonna help. I've gotta give credit where it's due - Ashanti hit it. Those impossibly high notes in "Loving You." She hit them perfectly, and instead of congrats for her efforts, she got shown the door.

The best friend duo reminded me of the public personas of Paris and Nikki, until they started singing, separately, and proved they did have value.

... oh jeez... some woman is murdering my absolute favorite song to sing - Lady Marmalade. Make it STOP!!!!!!!

I'm too crabby and disjointed - really rough day, so the ever cheerful Goldie is gonna take over the blogging from here...


For the first time since season 3 we are headed to NEW YORK CITY!!! Home to the Yankees, Broadway, countless celebrities, some of the best food on earth (mmm pizza)....but, could it be the home of the next American Idol??? Only time will tell, but if I was a betting woman....I would bet the search through this great city won't be dull!! Let's get this show on the road!!!

We first saw Superstar Ian Bernardo on "So You Think You Can Dance" where he argued with the British judge, Nigel....and tonight he had the same problem, with Simon----Could this be the modern day version of the Revolutionary War?? It's obvious he doesn't like the British!! He sang a rousing yet terrifying version of "Gloria" and told the judges they could just ask one of his therapists if he was a superstar since they didn't believe that he was!! (I'm with the judges....how many does he need? Plus are they really helping??) He says he won't stop until he is a household name....I don't think he will have a problem being a household name....I just think it might be a bad name!!

19 year old Sarah Burgess skipped school and lied to her dad in order to make it to the audition. This sob story proved to have a happy ending! She sailed through to Hollywood and went on prove her unsupportive dad wrong and make him proud. (Maybe Taylor will let her borrow his song from last year's finale) OMW---I'm such a sap!! I'm crying while she tells her dad that she made it and all he said was as long as you are home safe---I hope she makes it to at least the top 24!! She has heart and an ok voice!

Greek girl Fania Tsakalakos wanted to do fellow hometown boy Constantine Maroulis proud----looks like he won't have to share the spotlight any time soon.

Beautiful, Ashanti Johnson is no stranger to the American Idol auditon process since she has made it to Hollywood 2 previous times. She hopes the third time is a charm. But it seems it's just not her night....maybe she'll finally give up and go for the soap opera?? Like Ryan said....these are the days of our Idols! (Does anyone else hear violins?)

Best friends since childhood, Amanda and Antonella sang each other's praises, but could they really sing? The duet they sang proved to show their weaknesses rather than strengths. Vocally trained Amanda sang by herself first and impressed (sort of) the judges enough to get to the next round! Would Antonella be as lucky? ...Yep... Actually, untrained Antonella turned out to be more impressive and celebrated the victory with still best friend Amanda!

Attention craving Clifton Biddle agreed to audition because of his love for singing and reality tv. As he stomped his way through a ZZTop song, I couldn't help but think..maybe he could give "Stomp" a call since singing doesn't seem to be his thing?.... but, wait.... since you have to have rhythm for that....I would say no to showbiz all the way around, unless watching it from home!

Kia Thorton sang "Ain't No Way" by Aretha Franklin...and proved there ain't no way we could go to Hollywood without Kia!

Cutie Patootie, adopted Jenry Bejarano, sang Gerald Lavert and gave me a little bit of a chill----in a good way----and he's through! How cute was his family??

Nakia Claiborne "Little Shirley Cesaer" just made me smile!! Then she started singing....and I wasn't smiling anymore! I was almost as disappointed as her...because I really liked her!

Sarah Goldberg reminded me of scooter girl (remember her?), but without the voice. At least she got to use the tissues she brought with her.....(I wish I had one!) Maybe we could give her one of Ian's therapists....although I think she may be on some sort of medication....that she forgot to take....I would love to take whatever she didn't.....WOW!

Antonio Torres, Jr. sang New Yor, New Yor?....and made Simon a little nastier than normal.....(is it any wonder why he's always in a bad mood??)

Jory Steinberg has hung out with the Queen of England and hopes to hang out with the King of Mean Simon Cowell. After singing Tina Arena's "Chains"....Simon agreed to add her to his friends list!

Militant American Idol Soldier in training, Porcelana Patino, shed 60 pounds and came to the audition with a ripped body and an incredible voice----I love this New Yorker!!! Her boot camp paid off!!

Simon Cowell look-a-like Christopher Henry hoped his looks would carry him through to the next round. After murdering a beloved Kelly Clarkson song with his female-like voice, Simon hoped he would change his look.

Opera trained Rachel Zevita gave the judges a smorgesbord of voices and showed her range...but will she last through the next round?? She thinks she can..and proclaimed the southern states' hold on the American Idol title would come to an end this season. (She could be right....I just don't think she will be the one to do it!!)

Did anyone else spot Hiro from Heroes in the All Night Long montage??? lol I'm sure the judges wish they could bend time and get some of their lives back after that!!

Chris Richardson..sang my favorite song...and wowed Pickles the Parakeet!! He feels Chris could be this season's Elliott Yamin. (He's such an opinionated little bird)

Season 5 alum, Nicholas (I just bowed out, I didn't quit) Pedro sang "Fly Me To The Moon", but would this get him another flight to Hollywood? (Now I remember why I liked him!!) Study the lyrics, Nicky!! You're great!!! It's time to redeem yourself!

Isidora, palm-reader and self proclaimed rocker chic, sounded like she had a breakthrough.... or something.....anyone else need a cigarette?? therapist?? medication?? their palm read?? all of the above?? Right now the future seems really bleak....maybe I'll just let it happen and surprise me!!

See you next week in Birmingham, home to many talented past Idols. Will the judges get lucky again?? I'm sure we'll all tune in to see!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Know I Am Not Alone , Most people Watch this show, You Get to see people sing and get a good laugh here and there, And Get to see some people that have some good talent, However is it just me? Or Is This Year the worst opener, I Know That There Have to be bad and Good singers , but why are they letting so many bad ones through to the judges, I have known people that have auditioned that were genuine good singers who never made it to see Paula, Simon, and Randy, To Me It feels like this year they have Hired some actors, Thrown some ringers in there and called it a day, It Saddens me that they seem to be exploiting people with Mental issues and then giving them false hope getting them to the TV round for america to laugh at, Just not funny to me. Not That Any one cares just a rant for a wasted 2 hrs, here's hoping it gets better LOL
Christine

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home