Idol Dish

All the Dish that's fit to print about American Idol!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Round 1: The Girls

Whether it's the numbers you need, the judges comments, or my 2 cents you're looking for, look no further! Well, just look below this little paragraph. ;)

Phone 1-866-436-57_ _ or Text the word "Vote" to 57_ _

01 Stephanie Edwards: "How Come You Don’t Call Me"
Randy: Unbelievable conviction. (in a very good way)
Paula: What a performer you are! You are a Star! My G-d, Look at you!
Simon: You were a million times better than any performance we saw last night. it was by far your best performance we've seen so far. Unlike yesterday, it looks as if you came out and said, "I want to win American Idol."
Carolyn: Who?! Did they ever show this girl before? Why do the producers hide away the talent and show us all the painfully tone deaf singers? Wow. Nice start! Vive la difference! Chicks rule!

02 Amy Krebs: "I Can't Make You Love Me"
Randy: That was a medium, middle of the road performance. To safe for me. She's better than the song she chose, and she didn't sing it well.
Paula: I'm gonna have to agree with Randy.
Simon: I still can't remember you. When you sing, you have the personality of a candle.
Carolyn: Really nice voice. More than I was expecting, to be frank. Started a bit pitchy, but immediately recovered, and remained solid throughout. What she lacked for me was any real excitement. Nice voice, but.. so what.


03 Leslie Hunt: "Natural Woman"
Randy: I was hoping for definite greatness, but that song I felt was a little too big for you.
Paula: I think you did a great job, however, watch the songs that you pick...
Simon: It wasn't great. You look embarrassed and ungainly when you perform.
Carolyn: Leslie, Leslie, leslie... sigh. Nice voice. You didn't suck. But you're singing my favorite song, and Carole King you are not. Aretha, you are definitely not. Bad song choice. If you're not gonna sing it from your toes, choose another song!

04 Sabrina Sloan: "I Aint Never Loved a Man, The Way that I Love You"
Randy: We finally got ourselves a competition. That's the one to beat. That was hot.
Paula: Standing ovation. Awesome.
Simon: That performance was the best I've seen so far.
Carolyn: OK... YOU can sing Natural Woman. You have permission. Another nice surprise that was completely glossed over during the 1st few weeks.

05 Antonella Barba: "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing"
Randy: It was really pitchy, really bland.
Paula: It may not have been great, but it wasn't bad. You're an amazingly beautiful girl. (blah blah blah)
Simon: The good news is, you're attractive. The bad news is, it didn't work. It was way, way, way too big for you, that song. I think this has seriously damaged your chances of staying here another week.
Carolyn: Pitchy start. Will the vocal coach please step in soon and correct all the hard R's?! Togetherrrrrrrr. No. Togethahhhh... ahhhh. She made it hers, but she didn't really bring me in. I was bored with her. Pass.

06 Jordin Sparks: "Gimme One Reason..."
Randy: You've got some of the most unbeliveable natural talent up here. I don't know if there's any song too big for you, so go there!
Paula: You were a little tentative at first, but you came into your own. Go for it!
Simon: We've seen a big change with you. As Randy said, you've got a very, very good voice. I think, push yourself, and you may go very, very far in this competition.
Carolyn: OK, I come into this already liking Jordin. And unlike several of the contestants, I remember her! Let's see what she brings... Star Quality, from the moment she takes the stage. And a voice to match. Well done!

07 Nicole Tranquillo: "Stay Together"
Randy: Little bit of Chaka, Little Erika Badu. It wasn't working for me. That was rough for me. I didn't get that at all. It went right over my head. Wrong song. Wrong Vibe. Too urban for you.
Paula: I don't know how many people can hit the notes that NIcole just hit. THat was a performance that was out of this world. it may not have been the right song, but you can sing.
Simon: It was indulgent, it looked fake, like you'd been over-rehearsing. Song choice is very important, and I don't think that was you.
Carolyn: Painful to look at.. not that she's unattractive, but that this song is coming out of her. It just looks disingenuous. White girl from the burbs... this is not your song, and you will never own it. She has a voice - it just shouldn't have been singing this song.

08 Haley Scarnato: "All Coming Back to Me..."
Randy: It was just ok for me, really. It was a good choice for you, but I don't think you did anything special with it.
Paula: I think you did a nice job, I do. I was hoping that maybe you would have selected a different song.
Simon: You sounded 40. That was the problem. It was a bit like being at a reasonably good hotel, and that was the last song of the night. You made yourself very dated, old fashioned. A little boring.
Carolyn: Very nice vocal quality. Looks very comfortable on stage. Camera loves her. But... she was a big whatever for me.

09 Melinda Doolittle: "Since You Been Gone "
Randy: That's the way. If you got it, Show it. Blew it out the box. All you need is confidence. That was the bomb.
Paula: No more background singing. You are a frontrunner.
Simon: You are an incredible singer. You have a fantastic story. You are a fantastic person. i really hope you do well.
Carolyn: Yayyyy!! We're actually on a commercial break right now, but I'm so psyched for Melinda to sing, I have to start writing already! Please do well!!! Please bring it like you did at the auditions. You are the annointed one this year, Melinda. Hopefully that doesn't mean you're out too soon when people get lazy about voting.... Bring it, girl!
Singing now... Melinda, You OWN THIS!!! From the moment she took the stage, Melinda set the bar as high as it should have been from singer #1 last night. This is the caliber of singer we should be demanding. Long may she reign!

10 Alaina Alexander: "Brass In Pocket"
Randy: It really wasn't great.
Paula: You didn't make it your own. I didn't feel it.
Simon: I think the applause of the crowd made you think it was better than it was. You're going to be reliant on your looks at the moment, not your voice.
Carolyn: Don't immitate. Be you. We know who she is. We have no idea who you are, and when you sing her song, her way, we still don't know you. As it was... nice lounge act.

11 Gina Glocksen: "All by Myself"
Randy: Big girl. Big Voice. Big Song. That was nice.
Paula: It was the right song to sing tonight.
Simon: It's a different side to you, Gina. I don't think you quite nailed it. I don't think you hit the big note. I don't think you quite got there with it to be honest with you.
Carolyn: Surprising choice for Gina. I like surprises. Ok.. Gina brought it, but she actually needed to be reigned in a bit. There was a point at which she actually sounded as though she was shrieking. She says she hit it, but I beg to differ.

12 Lakisha Jones: "You're Gonna Love Me"
Randy: I do love you. Jennifer Hudson, watch out!
Paula: You have so much to be proud of. This is where you belong.
Simon: Just to correct someone earlier, that's the right note. i am very tempted to say to 23 other people, book your plane tickets home.
Carolyn: I already love you, LaKisha! Ballsy to sing this song. Not too many on the show could handle this song. She could and she did. Oh yeah!! Great way to end the night! Very close to perfection. I love you.

All in all, WOW!!!! did the girls completely school the boys tonight, or what?! They were what this show is all about.

Vote people!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The One to beat!!! She blew EVERYONE else out of the water!!! She has to keep that level of intensity up the whole way cause she could be the next American Idol!!! She gave me goose bumps!

7:11 PM  
Blogger CarolynBBDish said...

ummmm... i'm gonna guess you mean either lakisha or melinda...

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovinlife363 said the comment about she gave me goosebumps, ooops I guess I should have said who uh? Lakisha Jones!!! Who Else?

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tonight was such a great night. so much talent in the house, yet still a few duds. My favorite and my number one is now Sabrina. This woman has talent!! I absolutely love her and her personality just shined through in her song. Now that is what i call entertainment. Then there is Jordan. Was it me, or did you see the sparks flying all over the place, she was amazing!!! oh Lakisha, I do love you!! your voice was wonderful! then there is stephanie edwards, these girls have me so torn, they are all so wonderful and stephanie was no exception. Amy has a very nice voice although her song didnt show it very well. Then there was Leslie I dont know, she doesnt do it for me I dont like her, she seems like she has walked one too many dogs or something. Antonella has a beautiful voice but I dont feel that her following Sabrina did her much justice tonight. Nicole sounded too much like she was singing from her nose for me. She worked too hard to get the song out, not my favorite. Haley wasnt bad not a good song, but beautiful voice. Melinda,oh melinda, she has a quality about her that just makes you wanna get up and dance!!! Alaina didnt seem to be herself tonight, im not really sure that I am liking her at all. Then there is Gina. I dont know what it is about her, but to me, she doesnt sound good and she is too cocky, i think she should go home. she doesnt need to be here, we have enough cocky celebrities, lets not vote for another one!!! so that is my opinion for the girls. cant wait to hear the results tomorrow!! im so excited!!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn I feel asleep during Lakisha... and some of the others.... kept notting my head... I liked the first singer Stefanie I guess...
I dont think I'm liking too many of the girls or the guys yet... or I need to take a nap so they dont put me to sleep!!! LOL

Debi (-:

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home